Thursday 14 July 2011

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas


The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
by John Boyne

“The thing about exploring is that you have to know whether the thing you've found is worth finding. Some things are just sitting there, minding their own business, waiting to be discovered. Like America. And other things are probably better off left alone. Like a dead mouse at the back of the cupboard.”

Bruno, an eight year old boy moves from his childhood home in Berlin to a dark and mysterious house at a camp where his father is the Commandant. Bruno goes exploring in his backyard and discovers the camp separated by a barbed wire electrical fence. He approaches the fence and meets a boy his age named Shmuel, dressed in striped pajamas.  The two forge a deep friendship through the man made fence, unaware of humanity’s chaos that surrounds them.

The film, based upon the book by author John Boyne explores the deep desire for intimacy in the human heart and the friendships that can exist in the midst of generational worldview chaos. 

An electrical barbed wired fence separates the two boys, limiting the physicality of their friendship but not the intimacy of their conversation. In hushed voices they speak:

“We're not supposed to be friends, you and me. We're meant to be enemies. Did you know that?”  Bruno adds, “Why do you wear pajamas all day?”

“The soldiers...They took all our clothes away.”

“My dad's a soldier, but not the sort that takes people's clothes away.”

I watched the movie with my thirteen year old son, Michael. I am not sure which moved me more; the poignancy of the movie or the raw emotion expressed by my son.

“They just want to play with each other, don’t they mom?” Michael asked with tears in his eyes.

With mirrored tears I answer, “Yes, Michael, they just want to play with each other.”

Later that night I explored the response of my heart and discovered the dead mouse at the back of my heart’s cupboard. I build fences. I hand out worldview striped pajamas making the decision that some friendships are not worth exploring.  My own heart has been electrocuted by the generational worldview fence that separates us. I play peek-a-boo through the wire longing for intimacy with the very one who handed me pajamas.

But if we stay focused on the love of our Father, together we can remove worldview fences. A hole is dug not to let Shmuel out but to allow Bruno in. Hand in hand they walk through the dangerous camp understanding that intimacy through the Father is worth overcoming fences and worth putting on the enemy’s striped pajamas.

It takes generations to build worldview fences but it only takes one friendship to tear it down. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a brilliant film that rips the heart wide open if we are willing to explore the dead mouse that sits in the back of the heart’s cupboard.



Forgive us Father, for the stripes and fences that separate us. Thank you for loving us so much that you took our stripes and died on the very wood whose fruit fenced us from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment