Tuesday 5 July 2011

The Village Crier


Matthew five one two
And seeing the multitudes Jesus went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His Disciples came up to him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying: Blessed…

I am fascinated with town criers and yesterday, I met Port Perry’s own, Bill McKee. His costume, his bell, his loud bass voice caught the crowd’s attention. Ringing his bell, in his booming voice he called us to assemble at the gazebo in Palmer Park to hear the town’s message.

This morning as I prayed the Sermon on the Mount, God opened my minds eyes to see that Christ is ‘the’ world’s town crier!

Jesus did not need a costume or bell to get the town’s attention. His mere presence drew the multitudes. By simply ‘opening his mouth’ the crowds listened to the cry of his heart.

In the quietest voice He spoke, “blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven…blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled…blessed are those who are persecuted, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Truth after truth, Jesus voiced the cry of his Father’s heart to the multitudes assembled. The village crier simply ‘opened his mouth’ and his heart cry spilled out for those who would listen.

I need to be my Father’s town crier.

“Whatever I command you, you shall speak.” Jeremiah one

I don’t require a costume, a bell and a booming voice to share the truth of His cry. The authority that is given to me is all that I need. I must ‘open my mouth’ and speak the cry of my Father’s heart.

Father, forgive my silence and for not voicing your heart cry to the multitudes.

Matthew seven twenty nine
“And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings that the people were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes."

No comments:

Post a Comment